Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hello, and Hawkmoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, and Hawkmoon

Hi all--I'm Palaverer, from San Diego. Hope all are well. Among other things I registered here because I just wrote a response to The Jewel in the Skull on my blog, here. Comments very welcome!

Palaverer
    --
    http://www.palaverer.com/

Welcome to the Miscellany, Palaverer. Can't find a lot to argue with there, although I'm sure some of the JRRT fans may have a point or two to raise with you!

Don't forget to visit the Image Hive and the Wikiverse.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by palaverer View Post
      Comments very welcome!
      The main comment I would make, from an editorial perspective, is it takes you five paragraphs to mention Hawkmoon in your response, whereas normally you'd be advised to cut to the chase and get to your main theme sooner (in the 1st para if possible). You do that thing of saying something needs no introduction and then proceed to give that introduction; you also spend a (lengthy) paragraph talking about Elric when the response is supposed to be about Hawkmoon. Please note, there's nothing wrong with what you wrote (though I would recommend you to avoid the Moorcock vs. Tolkien stuff as it's a literary distraction imo*) but if I were wearing my editor's hat I'd encourage you re-write it with more emphasis on Hawkmoon/The Jewel in the Skull, maybe going into a bit more detail about how it "meets the fun to read requirement" for you as a reader.

*There is a comparison to be made between the quest nature of the Hawkmoon novels - which anticipates most modern fantasy RPG video games with their 'Go to this area, collect item #1; then go to these other areas and collect items #2, #3 and #4 before heading for the final battle' narrative structures - and the epic fantasy aspects of LOTR but I can't say any more about the differences without spoiling the rest of the story for you. Perhaps when you've read the rest of the quartet we can talk later.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Welcome aboard Palaverer

Decent review btw
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Welcome to the Miscellany, Palaverer.

Do not forget to visit the Image Hive and the Wikiverse.

Sorry for my english and France's governement.
          Papi

Comment

Hello Palaverer

Comment

How Do

Comment

Welcome to the Miscelleny Palaverer. :)
                Going Linear Is The Only Game Garanteed To Drive You Mad

Comment

Hello back to all of you. I'd note that on my blog I don't write reviews of anything. I more or less respond to the things I read, to record what they make me think about. That's why my piece is formally off, and I don't get to the book for a long time.

Hope all are well. I'm on a drive to SF from SD today and I will listen to Richard Pryor the whole way up.

Comment

Cheers to ya' from the Great White North, Pal'.
                    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Add not oppose

MM vs JRRT!?!? Why? Add them together and you get modern fantasy role playing! Also include RE Howard, ER Burroughs... For sci fi, add Ed Smith and Isaac Asimov, then add Heinlein and all those Buster Crabbe flicks.

Good fiction doesn't oppose, it synergises!

Welcome to Multiverse!
                      'He's frozen in a timetrap,
                      Slowly losing power.
                      Frightened if he makes a move,
                      The dream will soon turn sour...'

Comment

Originally posted by MalikTous View Post

Good fiction doesn't oppose, it synergises!
                        !
                        Well put that man!!
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Welcome palaverer!
                          Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Alas it seems palaverer has long since left the building. His/her website is down too.

Comment

Working...
                            X