The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle
Publishing History (UK)
- Newspaper, Virgin, 48pp., ISBN: 0-907080-07-3, May 1980
- Paperback, Virgin, 128pp., ISBN: 0-907080-13-8, 5 Mar 1981, Cover by Russell Mills
- "The book was actually written in ten days, ten chapters, to come out as a free newspaper which was given away at the original cinema performances! It was later published as a book by Virgin. It was then revised as 'Gold Diggers of 1977' and went into a Jerry Cornelius collection. I revised it in order to protect my own rights to the story."
- "Maxim Jackubowski was boss of Virgin Books in 1980 when, as a result of various complications, I was broke. 'What d'you think of the Sex Pistols ?' Maxim asked me as he tossed aside The Entropy Tango he was rejecting. 'Not a lot,' I said, made cynical by recent argie bargie. 'We'll pay you handsomely to do the book of The Great Rock and Roll Swindle in ten days, to be published as a newspaper to be given away free in the theatres where it's playing.' 'How handsomely?' I asked. 'Very handsomely,' he said, naming a figure. 'Rule Brittania!' I said and wrote a chapter a day over the next ten days while a lover/ex-lover alternately took overdoses or came at me with a kitchen knife and [...] watched the tape of the movie which was not allowed to leave my hands and pirates, getting wind of the event, sent me massive bribes to 'mislay' the tapes for a couple of hours[;] delivering the chapter to the Virgin courier who turned up at 6pm every evening for that day's work. But my main reason was to stand up a bit for Glen Matlock, tone down Malcolm's self-serving rhetoric and have Irene Handl play Mrs Cornelius! Pistols had become more posture than punk by then, I think, though I have to say they pulled themselves together later."
We provide the three links below as clues as to where to begin your search for this book. We do not guarantee its availability. You may find books not related to Michael Moorcock with the links below, especially where there are many similar titles. Moorcock's Miscellany does not sell books, but we get a small commission from each of the sellers below that goes toward the upkeep of this site.
- Email Jayde Design to request this title or to obtain a catalog.
For more details on the sellers above visit our Buy Books page.