Elric: The Balance Lost
A graphic novel written by Chris Roberson and illustrated by Francesco Biagini issued in 12 parts by BOOM! Studios from July 2011. It was preceded in May 2011 by a Free Comic Book Day issue #0 that served as a prequel to the main series.
Cover #0 (Free Comic Book Day)
Covers A #1-12
Variant Covers B #1-12
Variant Covers C #1-12
Other Variant Covers for #1
The series was collected in three trade paperbacks:
- Volume 1, Trade Paperback, BOOM!, ISBN: 978-1-60886-048-7, 6 Dec 2011, Cover by Erik Jones - collects issues #0-4
- Volume 2, Trade Paperback, BOOM!, ISBN: 978-1-60886-066-1, 3 July 2012, Cover by Francesco Mattina - collects issues #5-#8
- Volume 3, Trade Paperback, BOOM!, ISBN: 978-1-60886-278-8, 24 Oct 2012, Cover by Francesco Mattina - collects issues #9-#12
Prior to the publication of the series debut issue proper, BOOM! Studios announced that Elric: The Balance Lost would be released simultaneously in digital form through BOOM! Studios' own digital comics app and comiXology’s app as well as print.
Chris Roberson Says
- "I'd been working with BOOM! Studios on a prequel to Philip K. Dick's DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP for a few months when they first floated the idea of an Elric comic. They knew that I was friend with Mike, and asked if I'd be willing to put them in touch. Mike gave them the go-ahead to put together a proposal, and BOOM! passed the baton back to me. Their only request was that I find a way to work in Hawkmoon and Corum, as they were really looking at it more as a Multiverse title than just a solo book. It's only been a few years since I reread all of the Eternal Champion titles, but I wasn't going to pass up the excuse to revisit them again! So I took a few weeks to reread the bulk of the Eternal Champion books again, furiously scribbling down notes and firing off emails to Mike every few days, asking whether he minded if I used this character or that, or whether I could revisit ideas mentioned in passing. When it was all said and done, I had a twelve-issue storyline mapped out, and sent off the proposal to "Elric: The Balance Lost." And we were in business!
- I probably shouldn't reveal TOO much about the plot yet, but I can say that the main characters are Elric, Hawkmoon, and Corum, along with two new incarnations of the Eternal Champion, one who has been mentioned but never seen and one who is wholly original to this series. And we'll be revisiting a lot of different worlds of the Multiverse, including the world of BLOOD: A SOUTHERN FANTASY, a particular favorite of mine.."
- Occurs sometime during a Dream of a Thousand Years - hints suggest it was the second as he refers to Jagreen Lern
- Occurs after The Quest for Tanelorn
For Oswald Bastable
- Occurs after The Steel Tsar
- Who knows?
We provide the links below as clues to where to begin your search for this book. We do not guarantee its availability. You may find books not related to Michael Moorcock with the links below, especially where there are many similar titles. Moorcock's Miscellany does not sell books, but we get a small commission from each of the sellers below that goes toward the upkeep of this site.