Moorcock's Miscellany
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News > The Q&A Archives > Jerry Cornelius Archive

Jerry Cornelius Archive Contains older questions relating to Jerry Cornelius. You can reply to existing threads here but not start new ones. For new questions please use the main Q&A forum.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Eternal Champion

Default Jerry Cornelius Strips

Sorry, that title was a bit of a pun.

I've just read that at one point Jerry Cornelius appeared in a series of newspaper comic strips, drawn by Mal Dean. It was mentioned in an introduction by Mr M himself, and he wrote that at some point in the future they might be made available. I was just wondering if anyone had seen these strips, or if perhaps they were online somewhere? I see that Jayde Design has some newspapers for sale which seem to fit the bill, but I can't be sure and I'm too cheap to take the risk.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

D...
Old 05-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Denizen of Moo Uria

On a similiar theme but different format, there was a short lived black-n-white comic put out by an indie called 'Trident', I believe. It was titled 'Saga of the Man-Elf', and had cameos by Cornelius and Co. I think a have an issue or two around somewhere. This was at least 10 years ago, and I don't know if MM approved it. I'll have to find them. :)

TL
Old 05-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Eternal Champion

I'd be interested in seeing something from those, if it isn't too much trouble. Please and thank you.

D...
Old 05-24-2004, 04:53 AM
Honer of the Wikiverse

Parts of the strip appeared in the hardback and trade paperback versions of 'The New Nature of the Catastrophe' - I can't remember if it was the whole thing - I'll have to have a look when I get home!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Eternal Champion

I haven't got to around to that book yet... it's Cornelius stories by other writers, right? How do they compare to the originals? If it's got cartoons in it, well, I'll probably end up buying it regardless, but I'd be curious to know how the writing measures up. Cheers!

D...
Old 05-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Eternal Companion

Send a message via MSN to manmiles Send a message via Yahoo to manmiles

The JC Strips only appear in the Hardback or large Paperback of the Orion/Gollancz Nature of the Catastrophe.

The strips are interesting, I recall that Albert Einstein appears in them (as in a few of the stories) to help Jerry out.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Denizen of Moo Uria

Dee-

Best I could do. When I can get to my comic boxes, I'll try to do better. In the meantime, here's a start.

http://www.2000ad.nu/brendan-mccarth...rk/man-elf.JPG

:)
TL
Old 05-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Eternal Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL
Best I could do. When I can get to my comic boxes, I'll try to do better. In the meantime, here's a start.
Very interesting... at least you can't accuse them of failing to credit Mr M!

Since it would take heavy-lifting equipment and a miner's helmet for me to reach my own comic collection, I'd just like to say that I appreciate your offer... but please don't go to too much trouble on my account.

Has everyone else heard about "Free Comics Day"? It appears to be an America-only phenomenon, but more info can be found at:

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

Cheers,

D...
Old 05-26-2004, 03:03 AM
Wanderer of the Mittel March

Default JC Strips

Jerry appeared in a series of Comic Strips in the British 'underground' newspaper IT (International Times) from May 1969 to January 1970. The strip was entitled "The Adventures of Jerry Cornelius - The English Assassin". Some instalments were scripted by Mike others by M. John Harrison, some illustrated by Mal Dean others by Richard Glyn Jones. Some of the strips later appeared in "The Nature of the Catastrophe" and the whole lot appeared in the initial Millenium issues of "The New Nature of the Catastrophe".

Jerry also appeared in a strip entitled "The Airtight Garage of Jerry Cornelius", by Moebius, in the magazine "Heavy Metal" in 1979. This was later reissued as simply "The Airtight Garage". I've no idea why the Jerry Cornelius was dropped.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:14 AM
Eternal Champion

Bless you DeeBee!

I can see I'm going to have to keep an eye out from for back issues of 'Heavy Metal' too from now on. Moebius has done some great work, so it would be great to see his take on JC.

D...
Old 05-26-2004, 04:24 AM
Honer of the Wikiverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCrowSeer
...it's Cornelius stories by other writers, right? How do they compare to the originals?
Has anyone made a list of 'Moorcock-by-other-hands'?

There are stories in 'The New Nature of the Catastophe' of course, the original 'The Nature of the Catastrophe' (not all the stories from which made it to NNotC, I recall), the White Wolf anthologies and that issue of Back Brain Recluse that was an MM special. Any others? Anyone made a list?
Old 05-28-2004, 02:14 AM
Wanderer of the Mittel March

Default Lists

Hi it's me again.

I'm sad to say I do have a list of Moorcock related stuff by other people. I have this overwhelming compulsion to keep lists, it must be the repressed librarian in me. It's quite a long list (about 75 items not including graphic adaptations, although as you might guess, i've got a list of those too). I could email it. Is it possible to email from this website?

DeeBee
Old 05-28-2004, 03:10 AM
Eternal Companion

The Cornelius part of the Airtight Garage was a non-crucial reference to Moorcock, and I assume it was dropped for reasons of copyright. It works almost as well without it in my view.

Basically, you'll see "Jerry Cornelius" in the old Heavy Metal issues, but just Airtight Garage in the subsequent Moebius collections.

Le garage hermétique de Jerry Cornelius

Old 05-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Eternal Champion

It would seem 'Garage' was also reprinted as a stand-alone comic and/or as part of a Moebius compilation by the same name... which gives me a slightly better chance of tracking it down... or rather it would do if I lived within 100 miles of a decent comic book store. Poop.

D...
Old 06-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Anonymous

Another title, "The Garage Hermetic Of Lewis Carnelian," seems also to have been used.

See

http://www.chivian.com/chivian/a/AirtightGarage.html
Old 07-19-2004, 04:24 AM
Defender of the Runestaff

Default Re: Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee
I'm sad to say I do have a list of Moorcock related stuff by other people. (...) It's quite a long list (about 75 items not including graphic adaptations, although as you might guess, i've got a list of those too). I could email it.
Could you? I'm especially interested in this "graphic adaptations" part of your list. I've almost finished completing the Comics album in the Image Gallery, but I bet there are still plenty of overlooked titles.
[broken link]
You can find my e-mail at the bottom of my website (see link below)

Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Eternal Administrator

Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,077 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to David Mosley

To any interested parties, I've re-scanned and uploaded better quality versions of the NNotC Jerry Cornelius strips to the Image Hive album. Where necessary, I've re-composited those pages which were broken up in the hardcover/trade editions of NNotC so they can be viewed in their entirety.

I've also added some bibliographical information for each instalment (where originally published, writer & artist details) drawing on John Davey's notes in NNotC and the International Times archive web site. If anyone's aware of any errors, please let me know. Thanks.
_He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."
Old 05-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Champion of the Balance

Fantastic work as usual David. I'll be referencing these to protect the spine of my paperback NNotC... I've never got around to tying up the strips with the individual IT issues, so this is a handy reference.

p.s. as someone who doesn't have a single JC issue of IT, I'd be interested in seeing scans from the actual papers, if anyone can supply them, to see how the strip was laid out originally on the page.
'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Last edited by Marca; 05-29-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Bellowing Stegosaurus

Default Cornelius strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwher View Post
Has anyone made a list of 'Moorcock-by-other-hands'?

There are stories in 'The New Nature of the Catastophe' of course, the original 'The Nature of the Catastrophe' (not all the stories from which made it to NNotC, I recall), the White Wolf anthologies and that issue of Back Brain Recluse that was an MM special. Any others? Anyone made a list?

I've written an "End of Time" novel called REBEL AT THE END OF TIME, which will be published early 2009. It'll include an intro by Mike M.
- Steve Aylett
Old 05-30-2008, 02:44 AM
Honer of the Wikiverse

Very nice - looking forward to that - a favourite author writing in another favourite author's multiverse.

BTW I particularly liked 'Lint' - one of my top reads of the past year.
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News > The Q&A Archives > Jerry Cornelius Archive