Moorcock's Miscellany
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News > The Q&A Archives > Sporting Club Square Archive

Sporting Club Square Archive Archived Q&As with Mike from 1998 to 2003 posted at Tanelorn, the original iteration of multiverse.org.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:40 PM
The Final Programme

Default Lancer pirates? > M. Zenith

Question - This question was asked by Dave on 2001-06-06.
Is it true that the books published by "Lancer" were unauthorised by you.

If so, does this mean you did not receive royalties or payment from sales?
Answer - Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 2001-06-06
Lancer went bankrupt. I suspect they published (under another name which I think might have been Laser, but maybe not) unauthorised editions of some of the books they had already done as Lancers (Elric, Hawkmoon etc). This froze up the rights (because of their bankruptcy and general wickedness!) for ages and I eventually resold them to Don Wollheim of DAW. I didn't receive much from Lancer and nothing at all, of course, from the pirated copies. This happens. Things are rather better now, though authors, like farmers, would never admit it! All best, MM
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:10 PM
The Final Programme

Question - This question was asked by Dave on 2001-06-08.
The reason I asked about the Lancer books, is that I am in the unfortunate position of having to sell my book & comic collection (I'm the guy in '83 who said he would pay up to $600 for a copy of the original Stormbringer hard cover -- you told me your father had recently found a copy for you.)

However, I do not want to make money on my old Lancer books if you didn't (I don't need the bad karma). My thought is that anyone who has these books should contribute 50% of any sales proceeds to the charity or organization of your choice.

There are still quite a few of these books around and the people who appreciate your work should be happy to give you back something as a small recompense for the enjoyment your work has given us over the years.

Answer - Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 2001-06-08
Womankind Worldwide (there are links from multiverse.org) is the charity I usually name. Although there's some controversy around the lifestyle of Maurice Dees, Southern Poverty Law Center does practical work against church-burners. Or your local Family Crisis shelter could probably do with any spare money. WW do the best practical work I know to help women get a level playing field for themselves. However, you shouldn't feel too bad. I've been ripped off by a lot better people than Lancer! Through no fault whatsoever of theirs, I've never had a penny of any Blue Oyster Cult royalties, for instance. Clever management. Not, unfortunately, on my behalf. It's always hard to watch your children's new shoes disappearing up your manager's nose. I'm always glad to see WW get a bit of dosh,and I like that kind of principle, but if you're short, wait until you're better off. One bit of advice -- unless it's absolutely necessary or you can get a superb price, don't get rid of something you'll regret. It took me forty years to find another copy of Zenith the Albino! In fact it was a friend who found it under lock and key and got a copy of it to Savoy who are, at last, about to reprint it! Why I have spent so much energy making public the evidence of my vast theft from Anthony Skene, I'm not entirely sure... Anyway, good luck, and I hope your fortunes perk up. All very best, M
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:14 PM
The Final Programme

Question - This question was asked by Ian Johnson on 2001-06-08.
I'm intrigued - who is this Monsieur Zenith?
Answer - Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 2001-06-08
Aha, my friend. That's what they are all asking. Nobody knows. But what little we do know will be revealed in a month or two when Savoy publish their deluxe edition, with pieces by myself, Jack Adrian, design by John Coulthart and a lot of good art work. Zenith the Albino was known to pre-war office boys as an infamous adversary of the great Sexton Blake, detective. He appeared between 1919 and 1944 in Union Jack, Detective Weekly and Sexton Blake Library, written by Anthony Skene (G.N.Phillips) who was a government surveyor. Savoy will publish the only book. Only two copies of the book are known and one is in the British Museum. A third existed because I used to own it. Only one has the original dust wrapper (which will be reproduced within the new edition, along with many other pictures from his original appearances). Check the Savoy site (which I think is linked to multiverse.org) for more details. He was the direct inspiration for my own character Elric, although my stories are a little more elaborate. Elric's general demeanour, however, is often the same (though he doesn't have Zenith's taste for opium). He has been revived by me as a sort of homage which gives him a blood relationship with the von Beks and Elric in the Multiverse comic and Fabulous Harbours variously as Count Zodiac and Monsieur Zenith, but his story includes both the von Beks, whose ancestor is Elric, and Mirenburg. The way the multiverse runs, we could easily find out that 'Count Zodiac' is Elric's ancestor, and not the other way around. Farewell friend, I was a thousand times more confused than thou! Best, M
Old 10-20-2007, 03:17 PM
The Final Programme

Question - This question was asked by Ian Johnson on 2001-06-09.
Re: Zenith: Sounds like that whole Book of Kells inspiring *Finnegans Wake* and *Finnegans Wake* in turn inspiring the Book of Kells within the cycle of the book. I suppose there must be a point at which the multiverse wasn't cyclic, though, but that the non-cyclic proto-multiverse must have been erased from Time as soon as the Cycle began. But what caused the Cycle to begin, I wonder? The Champion? An adversary that the Primal Champion was charged with confounding? It would be interesting to know. When will the wheel break, I wonder?
Answer - Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 2001-06-09
Well, I'm going into that a bit in The Skrayling Tree. But don't make it any more complicated for me! I think you could safely say that this new Elric sequence is moving towards some new resolution...
Hope so, anyway!
All best,
M
Old 10-20-2007, 03:18 PM
The Final Programme

Question - This question was asked by Ian Johnson on 2001-06-09.
I've found the link to the *Zenith* (http://www.savoy.abel.co.uk/HTML/zenith.html) and have bookmarked the site. I think you mentioned Savoy having supported Harrison at one point. May I ask how? Also, do you have any advice about getting a literary agent - or even or where to contact one?
Answer - Mr. Moorcock answered this question on 2001-06-09
Dave Britton was and still is an enormous admirer of Harrison. We were just talking about him on the phone. We agreed he's the business. Like me, Britton thinks Harrison is a unique and first class talent, and put simply Savoy Books (Britton's company) was prepared to pay Mike H a weekly wage to sit in their basement and write a book -- the understanding that the book would be published by them when it was done. Unfortunately, Savoy went spectacularly bankrupt before this could happen and Savoy hastily returned all rights to authors before they could get caught up in the bankruptcy. Mike then sold the book to, I think, Gollancz, with Savoy's blessing. I sold Breakfast in the Ruins on the same basis. That, too, was originally going to be a Savoy book. Savoy kept me going through a couple of bad patches. Dave Britton still runs this old-fashioned form of patronage with one or two other outstanding writers who aren't immediately commercial, including the great R.G.Meadley. One day, when Savoy does it, the world will know the brilliance of this fine, original writer, a very old friend of Harrison, as it happens. It's also worth mentioning Jeff VanderMeer, Rhys Hughes, Tim Etchells and Robert Irwin as writers who don't get a lot of publicity but you might like to watch out for. I'm a great fan of Etchells's Endland Stories.

Literary agents are dodgy creatures. My US literary agent won't recommend one. He says he's the only good one. And he's too snotty to take on any clients. The best bet is to check out things like Locus and the Writers and Artists Year Book. You have to find the right agent for you and it doesn't mean you have to stay with one who doesn't turn out to suit you. Going to science fiction conventions, should you be thinking of writing fantasy or sf, will also get you contacts and anecdotal information about agents which can be very useful.
All best, M

Last edited by The Cosmic Balance; 10-20-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News > The Q&A Archives > Sporting Club Square Archive