Moorcock's Miscellany
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News

Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News Michael Moorcock invites you to ask questions and discuss aspects of his work, influences and prolific career. Share news, experiences and information related to all things Moorcock.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:59 AM
Barbarian Swordsman

Default Whence Kulan-Gath?

Over at Dynamic Entertainment, in the pages of Red Sonja, the sorcerer Kulan-Gath is making his return to comics. Kulan-Gath has an odd history in that he was introduced ( I think) in the Elric/Conan team up in the pages of Marvel's Conan the Barbarian, and later fought Spiderman, Red Sonja, The X-Men, and The Avengers. He gets around.
My question is, did Mike create Kulan-Gath or did Roy Thomas? Mike has said before that he can't locate a copy of the original plot he and James Cawthorne provided for Roy Thomas. I just wondered if he remembered coining the name or if Kulan-Gath was added on by Thomas.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 AM
lost in the multiverse

REd sonja is a character by Robert Howard. R.H. situated her in the europe of the sixteenth century and comics authors used her in conjonction with Conan .....

Elric Conan tema was invented by comics author .
Old 11-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Eternal Administrator

Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,148 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to David Mosley

I believe strictly speaking Red Sonya was the character REH created, who has relatively little in common with the Red Sonja character invented by Roy Thomas (although he was presumably aware of REH creation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
On June 6, 2006 comic news site Newsarama reported that Red Sonja, LLC (which holds rights to the Roy Thomas version of the character) filed a lawsuit on four counts against Paradox Entertainment (which holds rights to Red Sonya as part of the Howard library) in US Federal Court in April of 2006. The four counts are claims of copyright infringement, trademark infringement, trademark dilution, and unfair competition.
_He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Last edited by David Mosley; 11-07-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Barbarian Swordsman

Well the comic book version of Red Sonja is about 10% Robert E. Howard, and 90% Roy Thomas, but I'm finding it a little distasteful to see two companies that had NOTHING to do with the creation of either character (Roy's or REH's) scrabbling like dogs in the dust for the legacies of two talented writers. That's just me though.
I'm more interested in Mike's part (if any) in the creation of Kulan-Gath because Dynamic is making a big deal about the return of the character, supposedly because of his history at Marvel. I thought it would be weird and a touch ironic if Kulan-Gath was a Moorcock creation.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Site Host

Thanked 2,014 Times in 877 Posts

To be honest, I can't remember. I wrote that with Jim Cawthorn and it's possible he's Jim's invention.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Barbarian Swordsman

Oh well. No problem, Mike. It's been a while, after all.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Site Host

In recent years there's been some pretty iffy action taken by people claiming rights to Howard's work. Seems very sad that a writer of such direct energy should be quibbled over like this. As it happens, however, we had to threaten legal action when the movie Red Sonja came out, since the sword she was using was originally called, wait for it, Stormbringer...
Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Barbarian Swordsman

Yikes! That's terrible, but sadly, not surprising.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Eternal Administrator

Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,148 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to David Mosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moorcock
As it happens, however, we had to threaten legal action when the movie Red Sonja came out, since the sword she was using was originally called, wait for it, Stormbringer...
I suppose - given its nature - that somewhere in the multiverse there's a doomed, red-haired incarnation of the Eternal Champion called Erica of Melniboné.
_He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."
Old 11-07-2006, 01:20 PM
lost in the multiverse

Bingo !

She is a red haired albinos ..... She is doomed to love ..... and fail !

as a weapon, she as a magical comb ........ who increases her seduction rating ....... but makes her love ......
Old 11-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Champion of the Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mosley
I believe strictly speaking Red Sonya was the character REH created, who has relatively little in common with the Red Sonja character invented by Roy Thomas (although he was presumably aware of REH creation).
I didn't know til just now that there was at least one "novel" written about the hyborianised Sonja -- see it on ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d..._promot_widget

What are the odds it's readable? Silly question.

Seeing Sonja's metal bikini for the first time in ages brings to mind a question: Sonja vs. Katinka van Bak -- who wins? I know Roy Thomas gave Sonja this schtick where you have to defeat her in love before you can defeat her in battle, but really, if Katinka was wearing any sensibly protective clothing, I think it would be a foregone conclusion.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Wanderer of the Mittel March

I actually read this, when it first appeared. The fact that the only thing I remember about it is the cover, is probably significant...
Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Champion of the Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky-strike
I actually read this, when it first appeared. The fact that the only thing I remember about it is the cover, is probably significant...
Old 11-12-2006, 03:30 AM
Champion of the Balance

There's a Wikipedia entry on Kulan Gath:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulan_Gath

When I first looked at it, Mike's name was incorrect (Morrock!) in the heading, the date of the first Conan appearance was given as 1986 as there was no credit given to James Cawthorn, so I've amended all these. Can anyone find any more mistakes? I haven't given Cawthorn's name as possible creator of the character as it's not really verifiable.
'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Last edited by Marca; 11-12-2006 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Wanderer of the Mittel March

I'd always assumed that the name Kulan Gath was a variation on Kulan Tith, a character in Edgar Rice Burroughs' martian novels. Maybe just coincidence?
Old 11-12-2006, 04:28 AM
Barbarian Swordsman

Well I've done a bit more investigating and a friend of mine, who interviewed Roy Thomas recently, said that Roy says the character was his BUT the name Kulan-Gath was actually coined by...Stan Lee. Apparently Roy had called the wizard something else, and Stan didn't like it much, and threw out the name Kulan-Gath on the spot. I wouldn't add that to the wiki since it's an unconfirmed second hand quote, but I do plan to ask Roy about it. I see him at Cons now and again.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Barbarian Swordsman

Okay, Roy Thomas says:

"If you can show me the passage where I'm alleged to have said what you"quote," I might believe it... but I don't believe Stan ever made up a namefor any CONAN-related character. Nor do I think it's probably mine, orBarry Smith's. I feel it was probably in the plot I received, which whichbylined as being by Michael Moorcock and Jim Cawthorn, and which I mostlyjust simplified somewhat (taking out a subplot, as I recall--though I don'trecall what that subplot was) in doing those two CONAN issues." So looks like he thinks it was Jim Cawthorn too.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Barbarian Swordsman

Oh, I forgot to say that I emailed Roy and he was kind enough to answer.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Site Host

I'd better write to Jim (who isn't on email) and find out what he remembers!
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News