Moorcock's Miscellany
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News

Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News Michael Moorcock invites you to ask questions and discuss aspects of his work, influences and prolific career. Share news, experiences and information related to all things Moorcock.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 PM
flying cat

Default Gollancz announces major new Michael Moorcock publishing project

Gollancz has announced a major two-year publishing project to release the entire science fiction and fantasy back catalogue of Michael Moorcock in both print and eBook editions, as well as a substantial amount of his literary fiction.

Starting in February 2013, the programme will bring back all of Moorcock’s genre works including Hawkmoon, Corum, Von Bek, the Eternal Champion books and, of course, his most famous creation, Elric. At the same time Gollancz will also publish Moorcock’s Jerry Cornelius novels, The Brothel in Rosenstrasse and other non-genre fiction.

The newly published books are definitive editions, carefully prepared with the author and his long-standing friend, bibliographer and editor, John Davey. The new versions will be particularly important to fans as they will present the Elric stories in a consistent internal chronological order together with associational material never previously published.

The books will be published by Gollancz as print omnibus editions with a matching livery. Individual eBooks will be published by SF Gateway, Gollancz’s ground-breaking online SF&F digital library of classic genre fiction. The programme begins with the publication of the last three Elric novels: Daughter of Dreams, Destiny’s Brother and Son of the Wolf.

“I am extremely pleased to be continuing a relationship with Victor Gollancz which began nearly fifty years ago,” said Moorcock. “This new programme will make available many of my books which have been hard to obtain in any form and will now be available in both print and electronic form in newly revised definitive editions prepared by myself and my long-standing friend and editor John Davey.”
The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Last edited by Whiskers; 08-25-2012 at 03:36 AM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Whiskers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 AM
Orgone Accumulator

Thanked 1,106 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
The programme begins with the publication of the last three Elric novels: Daughter of Dreams, Destiny’s Brother and Son of the Wolf.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Old 08-25-2012, 04:04 AM
Eternal Companion

Dear all,

Quote (Gov.): "".

Retitles; as simple as that -- you can't say it hasn't happened once or thrice before -- and revisions, to boot...

Best,

John.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Orgone Accumulator

Thanked 1,106 Times in 548 Posts

I should have guessed, John.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Old 08-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Champion of the Balance

Welcome news indeed

And more Chaos for Moorcock bibliographers, though you'll have all the inside info John

I'm waiting to see what these will look like. Will they be hardback and paperback releases, like the Orion sets? Will there be anything ultra-obscure for the die-hard Moorcockians?
'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)
Old 08-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Eternal Companion

Dear all,

Quote (Marca): "Will they be hardback and paperback releases, like the Orion sets? Will there be anything ultra-obscure for the die-hard Moorcockians?"

Well, they'll be different from the Millennium/Orion sets, definitely -- and from the White Wolf ones, too -- contentwise. All thoroughly re-copyedited and (wherever necessary) revised. But quite what they'll look like, I don't yet know.

As to "anything ultra-obscure", I suppose it depends on your definition of the term. There'll be one or two small surprises, I would hope...

Best,

John.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Citizen of Tanelorn

I need to backfill with Hawkmoon and Corum, so this is weclomed news indeed!

MW
Old 08-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Reconstructulator

Send a message via Skype™ to Guzzlecrank

Fantastic. This might be a stupid question, but will US purchasers seeking paper copies of the new editions need to order books from London or will there be distribution on this side of the Atlantic?

Also: is there any way to get email alerts about the new editions as they're released?

Last edited by Guzzlecrank; 08-25-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Another question.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Eternal Administrator

Thanked 1,574 Times in 927 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to David Mosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzlecrank View Post
Also: is there any way to get email alerts about the new editions as they're released?
I'm sure we'll let everyone know about the new editions as soon as we know anything ourselves, but you could try Gollancz's own blog newsletter which you can subscribe to at www.gollancz.co.uk.

@Marca: We're gonna need a bigger Image Hive!
_He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Mosley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Aklo Tagger

Great news!
The Following User Says Thank You to Octo Seven For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Site Host

Thanked 1,368 Times in 659 Posts

Sorry, Guz -- technically and legally the books are only for publication in UK & territories but it shouldn't be hard to order them through someone like John Davey.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Reconstructulator

Send a message via Skype™ to Guzzlecrank

Thanks for the info, Mike: I'll certainly contact John for the ones I'm going to pick up!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 AM
Citizen of Tanelorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
Sorry, Guz -- technically and legally the books are only for publication in UK & territories but it shouldn't be hard to order them through someone like John Davey.

Good knowing this!

MW
Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Champion of the Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
The programme begins with the publication of the last three Elric novels: Daughter of Dreams, Destiny’s Brother and Son of the Wolf.
I'll have to be first - possibly last - to say that I prefer the original titles of the "Albino Underground" trilogy.

Having got that out of the way; what excellent news!
(I've been looking for a good excuse to build a couple of extra bookshelves.)

Some of us heard back at the time of the British Library New Worlds event that something was afoot, at least with e-books, but this surpasseth expectations.

Hats off to John Davey for his sterling work.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Wanderer of the Mittel March

Only UK? A good reason to hope EU to remain stable, and my precious amazon.co.uk to ship to Italy without an obnoxious custom tariff.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Eternal Companion

Dear all,

Quote (Guy): "I prefer the original titles of the 'Albino Underground' trilogy".

I dunno. Always sounded a bit like a resistance movement, to me!

Quote (various): "will US purchasers seeking paper copies of the new editions need to order books from London or will there be distribution on this side of the Atlantic"; "Only UK?"

I can't imagine, in these days of global markets in general, and of Amazondotscum in particular, that it's very hard for anyone to get anything from anywhere, is it?

Best,

John.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Eternal Companion

Dear all,

Quote (Opaloka): "Odd that if I order a single book from Amazon UK, shipping is about eight pounds".

When much of what they sell is being offered to the public for less than I can buy at trade, how else d'you think they make their money?

Meanwhile, I'm (not surprisingly) being asked for contents and schedule details with regard to the new publishing programme.

I'm not sure how much is being revealed (nor when), but would hope to be able to post something rather more significant here in a week or so's time.

It's pretty astonishing to realise that it's 20 years since the Orion/Millennium omnibuses appeared, and 18 since White Wolf began theirs, so this new and improved retrospective is long overdue.

Best,

John.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Eternal Companion

Dear all,

That's odd!

Having just posted a reply, at the start of which I refer to a previous posting by Opaloka, am I the only one who can no longer see his/her posting?

It's almost as if mine overwrote it...?

Best,

John.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:20 AM
digital serf 41221z/74

Sorry Jiohn, I was adding to my post and got distracted... their domestic shipping is extremely discounted (free in a lot of cases, or very cheap if you are a 'prime' member) so they must only make pennies a sale with those discounts, in many cases selling the product at a loss as well.

The rates are per book no matter what book you are getting, so transatlantic shipping could be based on a sort of 'worst case scenario' of the heaviest table-top tome. I gather that publishers like to have their territories staked out firmly, and there's no way to put region coding on a book - I'm sure they would if they could. So I thought perhaps that high shipping was a gesture to publishers to try and keep the N. American and European markets seperate. They don't seem to be trying to discourage people from ordering internationally in general though, they have a built-in currency converter.

I wonder if the new editions are coming out on the Orion imprint?

Last edited by opaloka; 08-27-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Nomad of the Time Streams

Send a message via AIM to ericrosenfield
Default Ebooks in the US?

I understand that the books will only be published in print in the UK, but will those of us in the US (and other countries) be able to buy the ebooks? Or will there be some kind of block on the website to prevent it?
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News

Tags
Books, covers, editions, Gollancz, Michael Moorcock, Publishers