Moorcock's Miscellany
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News

Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News Michael Moorcock invites you to ask questions and discuss aspects of his work, influences and prolific career. Share news, experiences and information related to all things Moorcock.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Nomad of the Time Streams

Default New Zenith the Albino Story from MM / Zenith Lives! (Obverse Books)

The (very) small fiction imprint I run, Obverse Books, have just announced our Big New Idea - the Obverse Quarterly - one of the volumes of which will contain a new short story by Mr Moorcock, featuring the Sexton Blake villain, Zenith.

MM's story - called 'Curare' - appears in volume four of the Quarterly, 'Zenith Lives!'. Quoting our website:

"For much of the first half of the twentieth century, the detective Sexton Blake appeared to be a cross between Sherlock Holmes and James Bond, as he foiled super-villains and evil geniuses time and again in the pages of boys comics. Foremost amongst those villains was Zenith the Albino, an opera cloaked gentleman with a taste for danger and excitement and little thought for personal safety. Obverse Books is proud to present new Zenith adventures from some of Blake’s biggest and best known fans! With new Zenith stories from Michael Moorcock, Paul Magrs, George Mann, Mark Hodder and Stuart Douglas."

Hopefully both the Zenith book and even possibly the others in the set, might be of interest...

More info at http://obversebooks.co.uk/shop/obverse-quarterly/ (hopefully links are allowed?)

Cheers

Stuart
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stuart Douglas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Champion of the Unbalanced

Thanked 1,111 Times in 754 Posts

Sounds a blast Stuart: so much so, I think you'll have my shipping details in a jiffy!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Duchess Headesplode

I want!!

But help me understand - is there going to be a Zenith book (like a novel, or collection of short stories) AND the Zenith story in Obverse Quarterly?

das
Old 04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Baker Street NW1

Default The Return of Zenith

I'm very excited to be a part of this project! I'm currently putting the finishing touches to the third of my Burton & Swinburne novels, then I shall be settling down to dream up my contribution to the anthology. I already have a few ideas floating around!

Of course, the BLAKIANA website is desperately in need of an update, too, and this will definitely be "front page news."

Long live Zenith!

Mark Hodder
Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Duchess Headesplode

Another question - will those of us in the US be able to order these books through the Obverse site?

das
Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Champion of the Unbalanced

Thanked 1,111 Times in 754 Posts

A third Burton & Swinburne novel Mark? I've only read the first (and enjoyed it): t'was a good idea indeed to play merry havoc with famous personages; we still recognize them, but they are entirely of the story.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasNdanger View Post
I want!!

But help me understand - is there going to be a Zenith book (like a novel, or collection of short stories) AND the Zenith story in Obverse Quarterly?

das
I've not explained things very well, I know - my excuse is that I was trying to include only the info which MM fans might be interested in directly :)

"The Obverse Quarterly" is the umbrella title for a (hopefully annual) set of four paperback books which we're offering as a subscription or as individual purchases.

The 'Zenith' book is the fourth and final book in the first quarter of four books, due early next year and is a collection of short stories using the "Monsieur Zenith the Albino" villain from the Sexton Blake stories.

Michael M will be penning one of the stories in the Zenith collection, along with Mark Hodder, Paul Magrs and George Mann (and me, hopelessly outclassed in such company!)

Cheers

Stuart
Old 04-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasNdanger View Post
Another question - will those of us in the US be able to order these books through the Obverse site?

das
Sure can - we deliver anywhere. You can pre-order the book at the bottom of this page (http://obversebooks.co.uk/shop/obverse-quarterly/) and then just choose US shipping in the checkout.

Cheers

Stuart
Old 04-18-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothgo View Post
Sounds a blast Stuart: so much so, I think you'll have my shipping details in a jiffy!
Excellent - and just round the corner from me too! :)
Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Duchess Headesplode

Thanks, Stuart! I'm debating on whether I want the entire series, or just the Zenith book...finances and time dictate. I will ponder over this for a bit, then make my choice! REALLY looking forward to the Zenith edition!

das
Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Baker Street NW1

Default Burton & Swinburne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothgo View Post
A third Burton & Swinburne novel Mark? I've only read the first (and enjoyed it): t'was a good idea indeed to play merry havoc with famous personages; we still recognize them, but they are entirely of the story.
Apologies for the quick hijack of this Zenith thread ... but to answer Rothgo's question, the Burton & Swinburne trilogy is comprised of THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF SPRING HEELED JACK (which, incidentally, just won the PHILIP K. DICK AWARD!!! Wow!) and THE CURIOUS CASE OF THE CLOCKWORK MAN ... both available now ... and EXPEDITION TO THE MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON which I'm currently just finishing. Due out at the end of the year in the US and next year in the UK.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexton Blake View Post
Apologies for the quick hijack of this Zenith thread ... but to answer Rothgo's question, the Burton & Swinburne trilogy is comprised of THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF SPRING HEELED JACK (which, incidentally, just won the PHILIP K. DICK AWARD!!! Wow!) and THE CURIOUS CASE OF THE CLOCKWORK MAN ... both available now ... and EXPEDITION TO THE MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON which I'm currently just finishing. Due out at the end of the year in the US and next year in the UK.
Congratulations on the PKD Award - and that's a timely reminder that I haven't got a copy of "The Curious Case..." yet!

Stuart
Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Champion of the Balance

Interesting news Stuart, thanks. Is payment charged for Obverse when the item is shipped or on pre-prder?
'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)
Old 05-02-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marca View Post
Interesting news Stuart, thanks. Is payment charged for Obverse when the item is shipped or on pre-prder?
On pre-order, I'm afraid - we're not big enough to have a full credit card system in place ofr payment yet, unfortunately.

Stuart
Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Duchess Headesplode

I have been so busy lately, I almost forgot about this. Can I still jump on board?

das
Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 AM

Default Update

Just popping in to let anyone who ordered the Zenith collection know that I now have MM's near 30,000 word novella in hand (and it's great!) so we should be printing the book in the next few weeks.

I should have the cover art in the next couple of days - I can post that here if anyone is interested?

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart Douglas; 03-23-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: can't type!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart Douglas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Eternal Administrator

Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,055 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to David Mosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Douglas View Post
I should have the cover art in the next couple of days - I can post that here if anyone is interested?
That would be great if you could, Stuart.

(Just put my order in for ZL as well. )
_He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."
Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Duchess Headesplode

Looking forward to it!! CanNOT wait! *runs to tell Sparrowhawk*

das
Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Citizen of Tanelorn

have just ordered my copy of the zenith book am really looking forward to it
Old 04-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Moonbeam Traveller

Hello everyone,

New to the forums and was very happy to hear that Mr. Moorcock had written a new Zenith novella.

Although I have never read any of the original Zenith appearance in the Sexton Blake pulps, I was lucky enough to purchase the Savoy edition (when I was visiting in London, no less) and really enjoyed the character.

Just placed my pre-order and looking forward to reading this new story.

Any word on that cover peek?

Best,

Henry Lopez
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News