Moorcock's Miscellany
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News > Death Is No Obstacle ◦ Obituaries

Death Is No Obstacle ◦ Obituaries Dedicated to those of special significance to our members, whether famous or personal, or with special relevance to Mike's work who have passed away. More general announcements or tributes to recent deaths should be made in the 'In Memoriam' forum.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Eternal Administrator

Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,095 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to David Mosley
Default Death of Philip Jose Farmer @ 91

Philip Jose Farmer, author of the Riverworld series, re-interpretor of Tarzan and Doc Savage and creator of the Wold Newton family, has died at the age of 91.

http://www.pjstar.com/entertainment/...mer-dead-at-91
  • 1953: Hugo Award, Most Promising New Talent, The Lovers
  • 1960: Nomination, Hugo Award for Best Short Story, "The Alley Man"
  • 1961: Nomination, Hugo Award for Best Short Story, "Open to Me, My Sister"
  • 1966: Nomination, Hugo Award for Best Short Story, "The Day of the Great Shout"
  • 1967: Nomination, Nebula Award for Best Novella, Riders of the Purple Wage
  • 1968: Hugo Award for Best Novella, Riders of the Purple Wage
  • 1972: Hugo Award for Best Novel, To Your Scattered Bodies Go
  • 1974: Nomination, Nebula Award for Best Short Story, "After King Kong Fell"
  • 2000: Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award, lifetime achievement, awarded at the Nebula Awards Ceremony
  • 2001: World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement
  • 2003: Forry Award for Lifetime Achievement
_He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Last edited by David Mosley; 02-25-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Psychwar Vet

I liked his first Riverworld novel, and it nursed me back from the brink of death when I was very ill. In a sense, I owe him my life...sort of.
Let's hope he opens his eyes anew somewhere far beyond his happy imagination.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick
Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Orgone Accumulator

Thanked 1,196 Times in 601 Posts

I have nearly everything Farmer wrote and reading this has deeply saddened me. Very sad news.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

“And the devil did grin, for his darling sin, 
Is pride that apes humility.” S. T. Coleridge
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Champion of the Balance

Indeed Guv, very sad news. What a grand age, but Farmer was the kind of guy you expected to reach 100 at least. He will be missed...
'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)
Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Champion of the Balance

A long life, but sad news, I remember really being into both his Tiers and Opar series at the time and liking Barnstormer in Oz, plus spending more than an evening exploring the edges of the Wold Newton morass.

Last edited by Talisant; 02-25-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:59 PM
sairfecht

A great innings by a great author.
Too many of his books that i liked to mention but like Kyrinn i had a soft spot for the Riverworld books.
Another good one away!!

Hunter S Thompson
Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 PM
digital serf 41221z/74

That sucks. I really loved his books. He had a real imagination. I think the first one I read was 'Dark is the Sun'. It blew my mind.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Site Host

Thanked 1,875 Times in 838 Posts

He was one of the first sf writers I read and I liked The Green Odyssey and many that followed. A great, influentual writer.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Eternal Champion

Below is a re-post from when I found out at the Science Fiction Message Board, but I had to share with everyone here too, the strange experience I had of reading one of his stories on the day he died (and I haven't read much by him yet, so it was a very random coincidence!)

Whoa. That's so weird. I was reading one of his stories just today, "The Sliced-Crosswise Only-on-Tuesday World" in Robert Silverberg's anthology The Best of New Dimensions. To make matters particularly strange and ironic, the story concerns somebody who lives in an over-populated future where everyone on the planet just lives for one day of the week, and spends the other six in suspended animation. The protagonist lived in Tuesday but was trying to get to Wednesday. And that's the day of the week, today, when PJF died.

Here's Cory Doctorow's short but very sweet obituary in Boing Boing.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Champion of the Unbalanced

Thanked 1,141 Times in 767 Posts

Sad news indeed, even though 91 is impressive, as is his legacy of works. Dayworld (what that wee short story later became) was indeed a fun book.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Crestfallen

This is terrible news - at his best Farmer was a true iconoclast of genius proportions and he was never anything less than entertaining. I'm shocked but not suprised, as he was getting on a bit. Subterranean are publishing The Other in the Mirror very soon - which includes Jesus on Mars, Night of Light and Fire and the Night, his rare racial issues novel, which has always been really hard to find - a fitting tribute for this great writer.

2008: 100 Must Read Books For Men (2nd printing 2008)

2009: 100 Must Read Fantasy Novels

Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 AM
Psychwar Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air View Post
Whoa. That's so weird. I was reading one of his stories just today, "The Sliced-Crosswise Only-on-Tuesday World" in Robert Silverberg's anthology The Best of New Dimensions. To make matters particularly strange and ironic, the story concerns somebody who lives in an over-populated future where everyone on the planet just lives for one day of the week, and spends the other six in suspended animation. The protagonist lived in Tuesday but was trying to get to Wednesday. And that's the day of the week, today, when PJF died.
I also read that, but I think he later expanded that into a novel's basis. Interesting stuff.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick
Old 02-26-2009, 05:07 AM
Eternal Administrator

Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,095 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to David Mosley

The main books of PJF I've read are the first two Riverworld books and his two Herald Childe novels, Image of the Beast and Blown. One day I intend to finish the Riverworld series.
_He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 AM
In Search of Templar Gold

Send a message via AIM to DeepFixer Send a message via Yahoo to DeepFixer

The first major books of his that I got were the World of Tiers series.

And, he also did a story in one of the early Theives' World books, too.

A loss.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:53 AM
lost in the multiverse

I loved PJF

first book i read was Dare ( not sure about English title : french title Ose, a story about love and intolerance ) ..... second one was tiers serie.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:56 AM
pixi

Sad news, I loved the Riverworld books, original, entertaining and imaginitive, all you can ask for really
Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Orgone Accumulator

Thanked 1,196 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Kane View Post
I loved PJF

first book i read was Dare ( not sure about English title : french title Ose, a story about love and intolerance ) ..... second one was tiers serie.
Dare was the first thing i read by him, too. I must have read it a dozen times since then. Just love the basic premise.

There is nothing like his work for pure escapism fueled by good ideas often carried along by a rollicking good adventure. There is something for everyone in his output and I can give him no greater tribute than to recommed people to find one they think they'll like and get stuck in.

RIP Phil.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

“And the devil did grin, for his darling sin, 
Is pride that apes humility.” S. T. Coleridge
Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Champion of the Balance

Interestingly enough, the first thing I read by Farmer was Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life in the mid 70s when I was about 11 and Doc Savage was enjoying a resurgence because of the film. I was impressed that he'd re-read all 181 books as research (all I had was the first two Corgi editions ), but really wasn't sure what to make of the book as a whole at that young age. Ah, the joys of youth.

I have a lot of Farmer's books but treasure the Essex House and Brandon House originals most since they are so damn hard to find. Not to mention expensive...
'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)
Old 02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
badseed

I really enjoyed his stuff, particularly Riverworld (well, the first 4). The World of Tiers is great too - might have to give hat a reread as I haven't read them in decades....
Old 03-01-2009, 05:25 AM
Time Dweller

Very sad news, though a great innings too.

I've only recently discovered PJF's work and was completely blown away by 'The Lovers', the novel version of the story that made his reputation. A great book on many levels showing that you can mix strong ideas, good characters, adventure, social commentary and satire and pull it all together into a seamless whole.

It was my first PJF experience - caused me to buy many more of his books that I'm just beginning to work through - and I'd recommend it as a good starting point to anyone else.
Go Back   Moorcock's Miscellany > Q&A > Q&A ◦ Questions for Mike & News > Death Is No Obstacle ◦ Obituaries